Indian education lacks courage

On my flight from Mumbai to Coimbatore (that is where I am right now) I was just thinking about the Indian education system. I am specifying India only cause I know about it, while other countries I am not so acquainted with. I feel it totally lacks courage. It seems like a syllabus made by scared people.

They want the kid to get knowledge before any life experience! Students are made to learn umpteen number of things they can't possibly care about and then and only then are they asked to go out and get experience. I see sense when somebody is into some area of work and then they want to learn more so they go to school, to learn from people who have some knowledge.

This is the approach I plan to take as a photographer. I plan to get all involved in it. I am just gonna shoot and hopefully I will get some work also. Through work (freelance assignments) I can explore new stuff and try different things!

After doing some amount of photography on my own, if I went for a course, then I would know how to make the best of the class. Understand the professor (if he is any good) much better and ask him the right questions. Without any prior experience of photography doing this would not be possible.

In schools however students without any practical experiences are expected to know all kinds of facts and figures for years! This way the understanding that students will develop about the subject will only be very little! It makes students think more about their degrees and qualifications rather than about their work, skills and passions.

If you tell them to just go and work on something completely new.... DUH! They usually won't know where the hell to start cause they will expect some teachings or specific instructions to begin with.

Get my articles in your email inbox as I publish them, via RSS!

blog comments powered by Disqus